The Sri Lanka government on Wednesday formed a committee to recommend measures to be taken on the UK’s decision to impose sanctions on three former military commanders who led the campaign that crushed the LTTE in 2009.
Health Minister Nalinda Jayatissa told reporters that Foreign Minister Vijitha Herath, Justice Minister Harshana Nanayakkara and Deputy Minister of Defence Aruna Jayasekara would comprise the committee that would consult experts for the purpose.
A UK Foreign Office statement last month said Sri Lanka’s three military commanders — former Army Commanders Gen Shavendra Silva, Jagath Jayasuriya and former Navy Commander Wasantha Karannagoda — were among those sanctioned and subjected to UK travel bans and asset freezes.